Manage Windows Server 2016 core
After you install Windows Server 2016 core, you will only see a command prompt. Below is how to manage:
- sconfig.cmd - with sconfig.cmd, you can perform below tasks:
- Setup IP, hostname, join domain ,etc
- Enable remote desktop
- Enable remote management
- Disable Windows Updates
- PowerShell at server
- Run powershell.exe in the command window
- Task Manager
- Run taskmgr.exe at server.
- Enable Remote PowerShell
- Server side: via sconfig.cmd, or run PS command: Enable-PSRemoting
- Client side: PS command: Enter-PSSession
- Enable WinRM with Server Manager
- Server side: command prompt: winrm qc
- Server side: Enable firewall rule at PS:
PS: Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Service Management"
PS: Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Windows Firewall Remote Management"
- Client side: download and install Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT)
- Client side (for Workgroup)
- Go to Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
- Browse to Local Computer Policy - Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Remote Management (WinRM) - WinRM Client
- Change "Allow CredSSP authentication" = Enabled.
- Change "Trusted Hosts" to Enabled and add the IP or DNS to "Trusted Hosts".
- Enable File Sharing
- Server side: netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”File and Printer Sharing” new enable=Yes
- Enable remote Event Viewer:
- Server side: PS: Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Event Log Management"
- Enable Disk Management
- Servier side: PS: Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Volume Management"
- Enable remote task scheduler
- Servier side: PS: Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Scheduled Tasks Management"
- Reference for commonly used text mode commands.
- Add credential to non-domain servers at client PC: